One tradition that I do think is worth keeping no matter the circumstances is holiday baking! I love any excuse to eat cookies, so on Thursday I made some chocolate peanut butter no-bake cookies (one of my favorites, and so so easy), and then on Friday, the Gable girls helped me make some brown sugar/cinnamon cookies (that ended up tasting just like snicker doodles--yum!). Between those cookies and the other sweets I have been given, I'm pretty sure my diet has consisted mostly of sugar and butter over the last 3 days. No complaints here, though!
Last night we went to church, and it was not like any Christmas Eve service I have ever been to before. There were no candles, no silent night, and no familiar Christmas carols. The service began at 9:00 pm, and it was loud and energetic, definitely a celebration. While there were Christmas themes presented throughout the service, the songs were the same songs we usually sing on Sunday mornings all year long, and the kids performed a skit of the story of Esther. Our crew ended up leaving early, around 11:00, which was only about halfway through the whole service. As a culture, Ivorians generally love these long, late-night celebrations for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. It's an interesting contrast to the short, calm services that I am used to, but just as special and powerful in its own way.
| All decked out with lights and tinsel |
While I've been celebrating my non-traditional Christmas over here, I've loved seeing glimpses of so many celebrations all over the world, thanks to social media. I was able to call some of my family members (both in Cambodia and Oregon) and share part of the holiday with them, too. This year is really reminding me that there are so many different ways to celebrate Christmas, but what unites us today (and everyday) is the miracle of Jesus, Emmanuel--God with us.
So wherever you are--Merry Christmas from Ivory Coast!
No comments:
Post a Comment