Even though my trip to the bread store didn’t go exactly as planned, I still see it as a success in some ways. It was a chance to practice my French, interact with the locals, and make a purchase, all on my own.
Living in a new culture (or in any big transition), I think it is so important to celebrate the small victories, because honestly, sometimes they are all you can really cling to.
Here are a couple other small victories I have experienced in the last week:
Walking from the house to the clinic (and back), without anyone telling me which way to go, and even without street signs (yes, I am now living “where the streets have no name”). It’s not a particularly far or difficult walk, but given my bad sense of direction, this is definitely an accomplishment.
| The map that Stephanie drew me of the walk between the house and the clinic :) |
Being able to greet people, and express basic information (my name, how I am doing, where I am going…) in French.
Sometimes I get frustrated by the little things that I am not able to do here. But I am also trying to thank God for everything that goes right, no matter how small.

No comments:
Post a Comment