Thursday, July 28, 2016

Is it safe?

Since announcing my move to Ivory Coast, family members and friends have been incredibly kind and supportive, but also understandably a bit concerned. One big question I have received is, "is it safe?"

This is a valid question. The world is kind of scary right now. West Africa is somewhat known for political conflicts, wars, and diseases. There was an attack at a beach resort in Ivory Coast in March, killing 16 innocent people. 

I don't want to take any of this lightly, but I can confidently reassure you that there is no inherent danger to me or the missionaries I will be working with. The kind of work we are doing, in the location we will be living and serving, does not place us as a target of any kind.

This question about safety was one of the first things my own family brought up when I mentioned the possibility of me serving in Ivory Coast. They had heard some things about that part of the world, and wanted to make sure that I was not going to be thrown into a dangerous situation.

Here are a couple of reasons that I am not worried about my personal safety:

  • The last political unrest in Ivory Coast occurred five years ago, following an election. Since then, their economy has been growing very quickly, and Ivory Coast is now considered one of the more stable countries in Africa.
  • The attacks this past March were in a location that is at least four hours away from CMF's ministry location. While the missionaries (and I) will be extra careful when traveling to major cities or areas where large groups of Westerners gather, they do not feel threatened by the situation in their current location. Since they are the experts on the field and they are not worried (and they have five children who they want to protect), I will trust their guidance in this situation.
  • Ivory Coast has had no reported cases of ebola.
  • The biggest danger I could reasonably face is malaria, but even this should not be a problem, since I will be taking prophylaxis medication to prevent malaria, and even if I were to contract the disease, it is very treatable in CMF's own clinic.
I so appreciate everyone who has taken the time to talk to me about Ivory Coast and my ministry there, and completely understand your concerns. The world is sometimes scary and dangerous, no matter where you are. I believe that Ivory Coast is actually a very safe place for me right now, and will be praying that it continues to be a stable location for not only me, but the millions of people who call the country home. Will you join me in praying?

No comments:

Post a Comment